Posted to alt.home.repair
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Chip in Granite - Any suggestions to fill or just leave alone?

If you use something thick, you'll need to force it level (eg:
wax paper under a wooden block) and squeeze out will be a PITA.
West will self-level. If you end up having to sand it, you'll
have to polish the result to get some gloss back.

After a day or two, the repair will be almost as hard as the rest
of the countertop. Silicone is just too soft.
--
Chris Lewis,

I agree with Chris. Silicone is way too soft and epoxy is the way to go. I
have a buddy with granite counters and the pro install. They filled seam
with a pigmented epoxy and it looks really good. I imagine that a granite
pro could fill your chip the same way.

For DIY approach, I would be tempted to go with clear. The natural color
will show through, although the sheen will likely be different. I have used
this approach to fix minor tearout on in furniture construction and it works
well.

To get epoxy to "flow into the hole" warm the stone first with a hair dryer
or heat gun. Not hot, just warm. Warm epoxy has a much lower viscosity. Fill
it just a bit proud of the counter surface

As the Epoxy cures, you will be able to trim it flush with a razor blade.
The key is to catch it at the right hardness, too soon and it will be gummy,
too late it will be tough to trim. When you can barely dent it with a
fingernail, trim.

-Steve