Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default How to make a "soft ping" timer?

HI Clive

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:58:06 GMT, Clive Mitchell
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes
A little pic-based cirsuit from Elektor (Pandora's box) allowed a
standard PC CDROM drive to play the tracks for a service in the right
order, and by pressing only one 'big red button'.

I built that! It worked pretty well.

Yes - didn't it ?

I looked at re-engineering it to make it a bit more 'user-friendly'
(or 'idiot-proof' !) . In the application I had it would have been
good to have the CD index read every time a new CD was inserted,
rather than just at power-on, and it would have been reassuring to
have a big green 'I'm ready to play' light and a comforting yellow
'I'm playing' light - but in the end I never got the necessary round
tuit.

There were reports of unreliability on my unut which we eventually
traced to the CD-Rom drive iteslf - which was very 2nd-hand when we
installed it. Put in a new drive and (so far) reports are good !

Neat piece of kit.....
Also thought about making it really clever, along the lines of a
'jukebox' - where you could create a playlist,,, but that idea also
perished for want of round tuits...

Regards
Adrian