Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield Bert Byfield is offline

Default Septic tank roots

Help! *I
have a problem with roots growing in my septic tank. * What do
you recommend to kill them and prevent them from coming back? *

I kind of have to question a thing or two here. *If you have tree
roots in
your TANK, doesn't that imply that your septic tank is
compromised and therefore leaking? *I was under the impression
that a leaking septic tank needed to be repaired ASAP.

roots can travel back from drainage field to tank..........

Or from the pipe that goes from the house to the tank. A water leak
anywhere is sensed by the thirsty roots, and they will attack a wet
spot. To start, Home Depot and Lowes etc have a root killer, blue
crystals that will help. But you need to do some digging and find out
where the water is being found by the tree to really solve this. Start
by seeing if any roots are growing right into the tank's top door(s),
which you should be using for inspection and pumping anyway. Then start
digging up around the pipes until the roots stop getting into the tank.