Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default How to make a "soft ping" timer?

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 00:05:36 GMT, Clive Mitchell
wrote:

In message , OG
writes
Nice idea.
Better still, have 5 silent tracks each 10 minutes long and 1 track of
10 minutes ending with the chime.

Then slip in another CD with 5 silent tracks and a violent rock track
and turn the volume up full.

Not kind ! g

Or program a PIC microcontroller with a button for each 10 minute
increment and a simple DAC to create a soft chordy gong noise in
software. Bit harder than a CD though.

The person who posted the "5 silent tracks and a chime" idea should
consider that this is exactly the sort of thing that would sell to
hippies on ebay.

Ahem !
The idea for 'x mins silence + a sound' actually came from the
Spiritualist Church I used to work for in Ipswich.

Our Saturday services were a fairly standard, 'prayers, hymns and
mediumship' format - but on Sundays the format included a (slient)
'Healing minute' which finished with a chord on the organ, before a
particular hymn was sung.

In order to give the long-suffering organist the occasional weekend
off, we recorded her playing a number of hymns, and 'Goldwaved' these
onto CDRs. A little pic-based cirsuit from Elektor (Pandora's box)
allowed a standard PC CDROM drive to play the tracks for a service in
the right order, and by pressing only one 'big red button'.

So - that's where the idea of 'a minute's silence followed by a chord'
came from.....

.....and 'no' - the congregation were not all 'hippies' g

Regards
Adrian

I wonder how much silence can be stored on a CD with standard audio
compression.