Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default NEC Rules on Grounding Electrode Conductor(s)

On 2007-04-26, Chris Lewis wrote:

I take it then that the GEC is going from the disconnect, thru the
stub (actually a PVC protective sleeve) and thence to the
electrodes, and _not_ following the cables to the panel?

Yes, that's right, it's a protective sleeve. I did find a reference
that suggested that for purposes of lightning strikes, it is better
not to run the GEC parallel with any current carrying conductors. But
I decided that parallelling for a feet is better than having a
separate sleeve.

I'd ask an inspector about that. If there's no neutral-ground
connection in the panel (there shouldn't be), you're theoretically
just making the grounding electrode system bigger.

Right, except that the ground wire in the feeder cable would be doing
double duty as the EGC and as a bonding conductor for the grounding
electrode system. Perhaps that is not allowed.

[I can't think of any easily plausible circumstances, but the
inspector is the right person for a final answer.]

Well, the inspector provides the final answer of what is allowed, but
doesn't necessarily know what the best practices are.

Cheers, Wayne