Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 12V 3Amp monitor - can I use a 12V 4.5 Amp battery? Help please

beware, as the battery discharges, the voltage will drop. as that happens
the monitor will attempt to compensate for the loss of voltage and may (
may) cause internal power regulating components to overheat or fail.

these things require a steady 12v level to attain good design performance
(give or take a volt or two). if you are lucky it will just slowly dimm and
become uselesss, then u know its time to recharge the batt, or it may just
turn itself off due to voltages it will not accept,

it depends on the manufacturer and just how much design thought they have
invested in the monitor

some may be very forgiving, some may give u poor performance as the battery
volts drops.

if it starts to smoke, you know what to expect.

be very attentive during the first time you use the battery setup, smell,
feel and even use a voltage meter DVM to track the voltage value of the
battery power.

"David D" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't want to fry my security monitor, but I want to hook up a 12V
4.5A rechargeable battery to it. Since the monitor on the back says
"12V 3amp", would the monitor fry or would it just take what it needs
and be ok with this amperage?

Thanks