Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen marc rosen is offline

Default Is an air filter necessary

I installed one of those air purifiers in my shop and I was amazed at
the amount of dust that accumulates on both the prefilter and the main
- one micron - filter. I turn it on when i begin cutting and leave it
run throughout my work time, setting it on its timer as I leave. I
have mine set up to blow filtered air into the "clean" part of my
basement (over a doorway) and allow this clean air to come in at the
other end (another doorway).
Some models are cheaper than others (Jet is a lot less than Delta,
probably the same inards though) but I think they are beneficial,
regardless of the amount of time spent in the shop. It's the non-
obvious clouds of dust that are the most harmful.

Marc
On Apr 26, 8:53 pm, Doug wrote:
Since installing a central DC system a few years ago, I no longer work
in an obvious cloud of dust when in the shop. What a huge difference
it made! However, I've contemplated in the time since adding a filter
system. My shop is about 400 sq. feet with only about a 7 1/2 foot
ceilings. I also probably only average 3-4 hours a week in it. Would
it be a worthy investment for my health given my situation? What
have people found to be the case?