Posted to misc.consumers.house
Robobug Robobug is offline

Default Sudden unbearable stench from attic

On Apr 23, 8:50 pm, wrote:
I keep a clean house and have a sharp sense of smell. I've eliminated
all possible sources of a horrid mysterious odor inside and cleaned
house like a crazy person. It strikes me as a really dirty litter pan
odor but we don't have pets. The wierd odor is still in the house and
seems to come from the attic but we can't see anything. The odor
suddenly moved to another spot now too, so it's strongest--unbearable
really--in the master bedroom closet area where there is a small attic
access door. I'm thinking an animal may have died in the attic but
maybe also a blocked sewer vent pipe? Any ideas?

AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! What I wouldn't give for a bad allergy attack
right now to knock out my sense of smell till I can find and eliminate
the source of this stench.

There are many products on the market that will remove these odors.
The smell is caused by bacteria gases breaking down the dead critter.
Heat and moisture will accelerate the decomp process and increase the
odor.
Thus animals that die in attic over the winter will have much less
odor.
Try using Fabreze spray first, if you can get in there to spray it. If
not try soaking cotton balls or any cloth with it and tossing it near
source. If Fabreze doesn't work then you may need to get a more
powerful product. You need a product that kills the bacteria not just
something that masks the odor.