Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Fuses and circuits

Charles Bishop wrote:
While working in an older unit, I was helping to track down which fuse
controlled which circuit. The fuses were in a closet, in two separate fuse
boxes. These were the screw in/screw out fuses.

There were several porcelein fuse holders and each contained 2-4 fuses. I
unscrewed one fuse and noticed that the ceiling light in the bedroom went
out. However, when I unscrewed the other fuse in the porcelein fuse holder
(there were two) the same light went out. The same thing happened for the
light in the closet.

Why would two fuses control the same light?

The porcelein fuse holders were a 4" square block for those that held two
fuses. Wires went into the back or sides of the fuse holder.

Oh, also, the wiring looks to be 12 or 14 ga (cloth covered, older wire so
it's hard to tell), and the fuses are all 30A. I'm assuming I should
mention this to the owner and mention that he should get the correct sized
fuses in?

Many, many years ago, it was fairly common to fuse *both*
the Hot and the Neutral lines. Not considered safe today.

You are probably not in a position to dictate to the
owner what he should do about all these problems. But at the
very least present him with some kind of statement of what was
found, for your own benefit if nothing else.

Jim