Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] intrepid_dw@hotmail.com is offline

Default About the new energy-saving light bulbs

The whole point of this is that we are being pushed into these
"better" lightbulbs, but being pushed into a solution that creates a
hazardous waste situation if I break a lighbulb - even for the small
4mg of mercury involved - is on the high side of ludicrous.My evil,
old incandescent bulbs has - let me think - NO mercury, so this isn't
an issue, is it? But we dare not say anything in favor of incandscent
bulbs, because it just isn't PC these days.

An individual shouldn't have to be expected to study hazardous waste
disposal merely for breaking a lightbulb. I realize that the old bulb
thermometers and thermostats have much more mercury than a CF bulb,
but then again I don't think I have to worry too much about a
thermostat hitting the floor, breaking, and spreading mercury all over
the place..

-intrepid

On Apr 26, 12:05 pm, mm wrote:
On 26 Apr 2007 08:27:25 -0700, wrote:

An incident talking about CF breakage can be found he

http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index...tent&task=view...

Not hysteria. It's actually happened.

-intrepid

I believe it actually happened, but sad to say, she made a mistake
when she called the DEP or when she believed the instruction not to
clean it herself. It's hard to know when you shoudl do what others
say and when you shouldn't, but it's a complicated world. And it
wouldn't be surprising if someone gave her bad advice and then lied
about what they said later.

The article does refer to it as mercury powder, and I think that shows
a mistake in there somewhere. AIUI, the powder is the same kind of
phosphor that has been in fluorescent bulbs for ?? 80 years, more or
less.

I'm not generally anti-government, but one shouldn't just love the
governemnt either. It's employees are no more competent than we are,
and since not everyone is the same level of compentence, some of them
are less.

Those tv shows where they get children to give evidence against their
parents, not about child abuse but other things, really scare me. The
ones where the parents let their children be questioned alone. The
notion that if the truth comes out, everything will be for the best,
isn't always true.

On Apr 25, 1:28 pm, (Dave Martindale) wrote:
writes:
And keep in mind the hard lesson some have learned - when these bulbs
break, you have serious hazardous waste situation with the mercury
powder in the bulbs. For all the hysteria about how "eco-friendly"
these CF bulbs are, they are a homeowner's nightmare.

The powder in the bulbs is the phosphor. There is mercury, but it
should be in tiny little drops of liquid mercury. There's so little you
might not be able to see it at all (~4 mg).

Where do you get this information from?

Dave- Hide quoted text -