Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Drywall Self Adhesive Tape?

According to Chris Friesen :
Al Franz wrote:
Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams. The
drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the first
coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some tape on
the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be perfect? Is
there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

For exposed edges you want something called J-bead (or J-channel). Its
either metal or plastic and it slips onto the exposed end to protect it.
It can be painted.

Or even some scrap trim or some such. It's just a garage ;-)

The only "self-adhesive" drywall tape I'm aware of is fiberglass mesh.
Which provides only crack resistance, and that only after it's been
mudded. Some drywallers prefer it to the more usual paper tape,
for the same applications (seams and sometimes inside corners).

I didn't bother doing anything with the edges of the drywall in my
garage, but none of it is likely to get hit, so, it didn't need any.
--
Chris Lewis,