Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default Fixing Particle Board That Has Raised Grain Excessively

On Apr 26, 12:35 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Jay Chan" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have mistakenly applied water-based latex primer on my particle
board book case that I am building. Now the areas where I have
applied water-based latex primer have raised grain excessively. I
have tried sanding the raised grain. But I can only sand away the
high spots, and I cannot sand enough to remove the low spots (primer
keeps clogging the sand paper doesn't help either).

The problem here is that you do not have "raised grain". Sawdust can no
longer have raised grain. What you have is a ruined panel. Time to replace
the panel.

Snip

Is there a better way to deal with this problem?

Consider this a lesson learned and start over. Your time is certainly worth
more then the material.
Keep your water based finish but make your first coat of sealer be shellac.

I have a feeling that your "sawdust" comments are referring to MDF.
The particle board that I am talking about have many tiny chips in
it. The water based primer has swelled those tiny chips on the
surface of the particle board and create large hills and valleys.

The manufacturer has sanded the surface smooth, and it costs less.
These are the reasons why I am trying to use it to build a book case.
Unfortunately the exposed cut edge tends to be rough, and needs to be
banded with a piece of wood. Because of the added time and effort to
cover the exposed cut edge of the particle board, I think next time I
will use MDF for painted furnitures.

Jay Chan