Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default knob and tube, 3rd ground wire, galvanized ductwork

On Apr 26, 3:11 am, Rookie_Remodeler wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:30 am, wrote:

I have been reading on all sort of issues and remedies that people
have been suggesting for adding a 3rd ground wire to the outlets.
since the ductwork is steel, as long as you run downstairs and ground
the ductwork to the panel ground, can't you just connect the 3rd wire
of the outlets to the nearest duct outlet using a metal screw?
if this is against the code, is there any reason why? I'm assuming the
ducting is as good a conductor as a 14 wire.

I do not think this is a very good idea. If you have a ground fault
the metal duct will be energized that that can be hazardous. The
correct way it pulling a ground wire through the conduit and
connecting it to the ground bar in the panel as well as also bonding
the metal conduit to the ground wire.

Pulling the ground wire through what conduit? He has ductwork, not a
conduit.
Using a duct for a ground is not only a very bad idea, it's also a
code violation and
will get quickly flagged on any home inspection.