Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al Big Al is offline

Default Stubborn hose bib

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 25, 2:27 am, "Big Al" wrote:
Have a hose bib that needs to be replaced. Problem is it's tight and I'm
afraid if I twist it too hard something on the other side of the slump

block
wall will let go or break. The hose bib has a flange where the pipe

screws
on and it's almost against the block. So what should I do?

Al

Spray the fitting with penetrating oil. Then try. This can be
repeated. Channel lock adjustable pliers are your friend.

If you are afraid to break it then be very patient and gentl. If your
are capable of fixing it then sometimes it is easier and faster to
just cut the fitting out with the sawzall and replace.

For those that asked, it's definitely threaded. If I pull out on the bib and
look behind it I can see a tiny bit of the galvanized pipe and the rusty
thread. I can get it about 1/4" away from the wall. Not enough to get to the
pipe with something to hold it. I may try to grind a notch in the valve and
split it. The flange is going to be the hard part to get to and split. May
try to drill a row of small holes??

Al