Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

Default OT - How to sell a car?

"Toller" wrote in message
news
Oddly, there are no good usergroups I know of for a question like this.
ahr seems as good as any place.

I have my car for sale.
Is it okay to let them take it for a test drive? If they don't come back,
have they stolen it, or have they just borrowed it for longer than I
intended? When I bought a used car two years ago nobody thought twice
about letting me test drive them, but I look really harmless.

Is a bank check secure enough? Except for cash I don't know of anything
safer. And I suppose if they gave me forged check it wouldn't be much
different than stealing the car.

Any advice, or good websites on the subject, would be appreciated.

I've sold two. On both test drives, I went along. I also followed a common
recommendation and asked for cash in payment. Most buyers seem to expect
this. After a deal was struck, one buyer went to the bank to get the cash.
The other pulled several thousand dollars from his billfold and took the car
and the title. He seemed to be familiar with the cash requirement. Thing
is, a check can be bounced or stopped and cashiers checks are occasionally
forged.

SJF