Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Stubborn hose bib

"Big Al" wrote in message
Have a hose bib that needs to be replaced. Problem is it's tight and I'm
afraid if I twist it too hard something on the other side of the slump
block
wall will let go or break. The hose bib has a flange where the pipe screws
on and it's almost against the block. So what should I do?

Al

Repair the old one if at all possible. The only way to get it off without
possible damage in the wall is to cut it off in pieces. You may be ahead to
chisel away the block around the pipe to see if it is a threaded or soldered
connection. If soldered, just blow out the water and heat until the solder
melts. If there is a threaded iron pipe, heat and penetrating oil may help
but cutting it off is the only really safe way. You would have to be very
careful not to damage the threads. Since fairly extensive block work would
be required if something in the wall broke, it might be worthwhile to just
chisel away enough block to get a pipe wrench on the pipe to hold it while
you twist the bib off.

In cases like this, experience helps a lot in judging how much force to use.
You might want to seek help. I would be very leery about just trying to
unscrew it if it does not yield pretty easily.

Lots of luck, Don Young