Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Storage building siding options...Hardiboard?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, all.

I will be constructing a simple 10' x 10' outside storage building in
my backyard this summer. A 4" concrete pad has already been poured,
and as I plan construction, I am considering exterior siding options.
I have read quite a bit about Hardiboard vertical siding material.
This product, which apparently comes in 4' x 8' sheets, is paintaile
and rot-resistant. However, I've also read that it is a bear to cut,
and dry-cutting produces some really *bad* silica dust that should be
avoided.

So, my initial enthusiasm for Hardiboard has been tempered, and thus
I'm still considering other options. I would appreciate any
suggestions. I don't mind (and, in fact, would prefer) to paint the
exterior rather than rely on product color that may fade/vary over
time, as vinyl does.

The storage shed will be a pretty simple structure; wood-framed walls
on 16" centers w/ 1/2" plywood sheathing.

TIA for any ideas.

-intrepid

I built a 10x16 shed last year, I know what you're going through. I looked
at all the siding options too. I considered the 4x8 sheets of hardie board
also, but decided to pass. This siding was to be installed vertically, and
joining 2 pieces on the same stud is iffy. This is true because you'd have
to nail really close to the edge. ( this is the kiss of death for any cement
siding product) They recommended that the studs be doubled up where 2
pieces come together. In the end, I decided that was too much hassle.

I went with raw 5/8" T1-11 plywood siding, grooved 8" OC instead. This was
no picnic either. The siding was raw, so I primed it, both sides complete
on sawhorses before putting it up. (a major hassle) Then I had to paint it
once the building was done.

The building looks great, but 2 coats of primer on both sides of the sheet
and paint on the one side of the sheet was more work than I wanted to do.
(the white primered sheets look nice inside though) If I could do it again,
I'd sheet it with 7/16" OSB and side it with vinyl or Hardie Plank.

Other things to consider: I went with a Gambrel (Barn-Style) roof, so that
I could have a storage loft above. *Very* nice to have some extra room. I
also did not want to hassle with swinging doors so I put on a low-headroom
8x7 garage door instead. (I had 8' sidewalls) The garage door with
low-headroom kit was expensive, (300 bucks) but well worth it!

Good Luck!