Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Storage building siding options...Hardiboard?

wrote:
Hello, all.

I will be constructing a simple 10' x 10' outside storage building in
my backyard this summer. A 4" concrete pad has already been poured,
and as I plan construction, I am considering exterior siding options.
I have read quite a bit about Hardiboard vertical siding material.
This product, which apparently comes in 4' x 8' sheets, is paintaile
and rot-resistant. However, I've also read that it is a bear to cut,
and dry-cutting produces some really *bad* silica dust that should be
avoided.

So, my initial enthusiasm for Hardiboard has been tempered, and thus
I'm still considering other options. I would appreciate any
suggestions. I don't mind (and, in fact, would prefer) to paint the
exterior rather than rely on product color that may fade/vary over
time, as vinyl does.

The storage shed will be a pretty simple structure; wood-framed walls
on 16" centers w/ 1/2" plywood sheathing.

TIA for any ideas.

-intrepid

Although you may have to make a few cuts with your circular
saw, you can rent or buy a shear made especially to cut hardie
panels and boards. Absolutely no dust, just long curlicues of
hardie board.

I haven't cut any hardipanel with a saw in years. I still cut
hardieplank with a chop saw, but I use the blade made for
cutting it and there is very little dust.

Here are some sources for the products I am talking about;

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Intern.../dp/B0000DCBJH

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/hitachi/hardiplank_blades.htm?L+coastest+xszn8925ffe336e3+ 1177583800

--
Robert Allison