Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Double Glazing Help

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:32:11 +0100, SimonW
wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

Well it may make no sense to Lurch but to me it is obvious. This is the
adjustable friction hinge so you can set the hinge such that the window
stays where you put it. The adjustment compensated for the weigth of the
window in a top hung light and for likely wind load for a side hung light.
Does this help?

Bob

I don't think I explained myself very well, sorry

This is a side hung window.

Hinged at one side with a casement stay and a cockspur fastener ?

The plastic is not in the runners,

"Runners" ?

it is literally wrapped around the
bottom friction hinge,

"Friction Hinge" - wassat ?

if you look at it quickly you might mistake it
for a piece of insulation tape wrapped around the hinge. It only makes
the window more difficult/easy to close just before the frame is line
with the catches, because the bottom of the window frame meets this bit
of plastic and has to ramp over it. In fact the plastic does have a
little ramp either side.

I was with Bob, but after reading this I dunno.

It could just be a bodge by someone who thought the friction device
wasn't working well enough.

As the man said a picture is worth a thousand words.

DG