Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Frugal Dehumidifier - any good models widely available?

On 25 Apr 2007 05:21:32 -0400, wrote:

How 'bout the rest of my comments? Can you claim that any of those
patents are based on anything novel or unobvious? I mean, c'mon, a
TREE SWING?

You might enjoy paying me to analyze them in excruciating detail :-)

Nah, don't think so. Even l'il ole me can tell that chasing a cat
around with a laser pointer is neither novel, non-obvious nor lacking
in prior art. Same with two ropes tossed over a tree limb and
connected to a plank, what that tree swing patent consists of.

Let's see... You wrote:

Let's do a test, sort of a worst-case one. Obtain one of
those fans and send it to me. I'll install it along with data logging
equipment and we'll see what it does in this environment. I have
several HOBOs including the temperature and RH one. I'll buy the duty
cycle one to log the fan run time. I'll log the power consumption
with the same meter I used to log my dehumidifier so there won't be
any calibration questions. If it works then I'll either buy it from
you or return it, your choice. If it doesn't, I return it to you.

"Working" is defined as 50% or lower RH in that space at all times
without raising the temperature above 70, conditions suitable for
valuable book storage...

You game?

I don't think so. Putting aside your hyenalike behavior, it looks
like this requires time and money on my part, with nothing to gain.
Care to sweeten the pot? :-)

Oh, you have a lot to gain. You'd have confirmed data that the thing
either works or doesn't in a humid climate like mine. At worst you'd
end up with one of those units. At best you'd have confirmation data
and zero dollars out of pocket. As an advocate of that product,
surely you could get them to contribute a unit to the test.

Heck, I'll even submit a test plan in advance for your approval. Even
though I have my preconceived notions about the efficacy of this
gadget I AM interested in test results. My notions are wrong on very
rare occasions, after all. And as always, I publish all raw data and
my calculations. You can critique my analysis and/or do something
different with the raw data.

FWIW, it seems to me this might work well for you, with enough books
and concrete and wood to absorb moisture in an airtight basement
with a vapor barrier and no water leaks from the outdoors.

The average yearly temp in Chattanooga is 59.3 F, and 70 F air at 50% RH
has w = 0.0079. The average outdoor humidity ratio is less than that from
October through April. You could store lots of dryness in January, with
a 37.4 F average outdoor temp and w = 0.0036. You are a bright boy. Look
up the sorption isotherms for your materials and do your own estimates
or simulations, s'il te plait. I gave you the concrete information.

Except that I live 100 miles away in the mountains above Tellico
Plains. At 2500 feet in what amounts to an eastern jungle. I never
appreciated what a jungle environment is like until I moved here. I
stored my car and motorhome up here while I was on the road for about
a year. When I came back the steering wheels were twice the normal
diameters, encrusted with green mold. The pillows and bedlinens in
the MH were green with mold. Even fingerprints were outlined in green
mold! yeah, I know, my signature says Cleveland but that's just where
my mail goes. We don't have mail service up here.

I had the power and thus the AC off for that period. The inside of
the cabin was green too. What a clean-up job!

My basement had always been saturated with humidity and moldy but I
didn't fully appreciate the conditions until I parked my vehicles
here.

I'm open to letting the data regarding that fan gadget prove me wrong
but I seriously doubt it will happen.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
All great things are simple and many can be expressed in single words:
Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope. -Churchill