Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Storage building siding options...Hardiboard?

On 25 Apr 2007 09:04:22 -0700, wrote:

Hello, all.

I will be constructing a simple 10' x 10' outside storage building in
my backyard this summer. A 4" concrete pad has already been poured,
and as I plan construction, I am considering exterior siding options.
I have read quite a bit about Hardiboard vertical siding material.
This product, which apparently comes in 4' x 8' sheets, is paintaile
and rot-resistant. However, I've also read that it is a bear to cut,
and dry-cutting produces some really *bad* silica dust that should be
avoided.

So, my initial enthusiasm for Hardiboard has been tempered, and thus
I'm still considering other options. I would appreciate any
suggestions. I don't mind (and, in fact, would prefer) to paint the
exterior rather than rely on product color that may fade/vary over
time, as vinyl does.

The storage shed will be a pretty simple structure; wood-framed walls
on 16" centers w/ 1/2" plywood sheathing.

TIA for any ideas.

What weather and environmental conditions is it expected to
withstand? how long is it supposed to last? Is the
siding going to be structural, or will the wood framing provide
wracking resistance without the siding? Does it need to be pretty?