Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Ultrasonic cleaners

D.M. Procida wrote:
Are they worth having?

I'm speaking of ones like:
http://planet.farnell.com/email/cpc/WebOffers/ultclenr.htm

The fact that it loks like a toilet is obviously a bonus. It would be
almost worth it to have dentures just to be able to put them in a
cleaner that looks like a toilet.

Can ultrasonic cleaning damage things? I can see that dunking Grandpa's
1959 Omega Constellation in there is probably not the right way to go.

I bought one very similar to that from Maplin. I normally use it for my
hobby of electronics, to clean circuit boards. However, my wife dropped
her digital camera into a dirty stream last year and it was complaining
about flat batteries and the view finder was clouded somewhat.

I took off the back face of the camera and dropped it into the
ultrasonic bath for a few sessions of cleaning. Rotating it after each
session. I used tap water and a drop or two of Fairy washing up liquid.
I asked on here about doing this, as the camera was either a total loss,
or it could be recovered. After a good dry out, I am pleased to say that
everything looks fine and that it is back in everyday use again.

Dave