Posted to alt.home.repair

Default compare natural gas generators

Thanks for the field report. Sounds a lot like my ETI. I didn't
know that about the 12 volt charger. Might have to plug in a
regular battery charger in that case. The one time I used it
during a power cut, I gave it a splash of maybe a quart or so of
gas mix. Ran for two hours or so, running the furnace. When I
tried it, I could hear the motor, but much quieter than a lawn
mower for example.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in
message .. .
: In article , cayoung61
: (Stormin Mormon) says...
:
: Please tell me about the 1200 watt unit. Is it a ETQ? I got
one
: of those from Ebay. The once I used it "for real" was a
friend's
: very old furnace, when he didn't pay the bill and the power
was
: off. It needed ether to start, but powered the furnace
nicely.
:
: It's a generic that I bought at Coastal Farm Supply for $129.
It's a 2-
: cycle engine (not for sale in California) that starts pretty
easily. It
: runs about 4.5 hours on a gallon of mixed gas. Voltage
regulation is by
: spark interrupter, so it only fires about half the time under
no load.
: It has a 12 volt output that is just about worthless, since the
breaker
: will trip if you hook it to a discharged car battery. If you
start with
: a charged battery, it will keep the voltage up.
:
: Anyway, it's small, light, quiet and cheap, both to buy and to
run. A
: gallon of gas a day will keep the freezer frozen. Don't leave
stale gas
: in the tank. I run Red Line synthetic 2-cycle oil, and have
had very
: good luck with small, cheap 2-cycle engines. I had to pull my
$69 leaf
: blower apart last year because of a broken handle mount, and
the
: cylinder showed no signs of wear after 5 years of use.
:
: --
: For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
: with my first name and last initial.