Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Air Compressor Question

"Neillarson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have seen a lot of references to size of air compressors for
different jobs and tools but I can't find a good rule of thumb, Yes, I
know I can use each individual tools ratings but I don't have them all
yet.

Today, I use a PC Pin Nailer, a SENOC Brad Nailer and a Bostic Brad
Nailer/Stapler. I am using a Sears Craftsman 1 HP 7 Gal that is rated
at 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI (125 max).
I am looking at adding a Finish Nailer, pnuematic sander like the PC
PTS6 and a pnuematic drill.

Any recommendations on what size compressort I should be looking to
upgrade to?

Something to consider, nailguns use air for a "A Split Second" at a time.
Just about any standard pressure compressor with a tank will work out fine.

Sanders, drills, impact wrenches, air ratchets, air chisels, cut off
wheels, paint guns, and or basically any tool that runs for extend periods
of time past 10 or so seconds needs a larger capacity tank/compressor to be
able to keep up. Look for the CFM ratings of all the tools you are likely
to add in the future and if that is in the near future, consider buying a
compressor that will handle that CFM rating.