Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer The Wanderer is offline

Default Removal of Gas Water and Electricity services

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:01:38 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

snip

There are *redundant* Gas, Electricity and Water Services along the length
of the road, once used by the factory. I have contacted the companies in
charge of the *physical* networks.

The gas supplier Northern Gas Networks/United Utilities are Quoting GBP
1073.95 to disconnect the 4 inch main. Is this legal? Because as I see
it is just maintenance of their network? I have never had any advantage

Ask them what right they have to be present on the land.

In very general terms, utility companies usually never bothered with
wayleaves or easements for services crossing land that were wholly under
the ownership of the person to whom supply was being given, like the owner
of the factory, IYSWIM. In other words, if the person who wanted the supply
wouldn't give permission for the service to cross their land, they didn't
get a supply!

If, by some slight chance they've got a wayleave, that's determinable if
you give them notice. They've got to remove the equipment at the end of the
notice period, unless they can demonstrate they have a need for the
equipment to remain in situ, when they could apply for a compulsory
wayleave. As they're prepared to remove it at your expense, it seems like
that's not the case.

If they've got a permanent easement, then you're stuffed. Pay up!

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net