Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Removal of Gas Water and Electricity services

On 2007-04-25 14:01:38 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
said:

I am buying an old access road to a Factory to turn it into garden, and
distribute sections to the neighbours. It is far more complicated than
that. :-( It is IMO far better to have the locals owning the land rather
than an absentee landlord. A small amount of Fly Tipping has occurred.

There are *redundant* Gas, Electricity and Water Services along the length
of the road, once used by the factory. I have contacted the companies in
charge of the *physical* networks.

The gas supplier Northern Gas Networks/United Utilities are Quoting GBP
1073.95 to disconnect the 4 inch main. Is this legal? Because as I see
it is just maintenance of their network? I have never had any advantage

The Electricity YEDL supplier, on the other hand, are offering to remove
the cable "at YEDL cost"

Cutting off the water is just a matter of turning off an existing tap next
to the existing meter, so I for see no problems. Yorkshire water have not
yet got back to me

The Planning Department, are proving helpful, and have *said* that there
would be no problems, but have charged me GBP 32 for an official answer to
my question about Change of Use Planning permission which I fully expect to
get.

posted to uk.legal.moderated and uk.d-i-y

If it was and is a private road, surely the costs associated with the
services provision are with the owners?

An obvious question. Why do the services need to be removed or
disconnected anyway? It''s not as though your neighbours, in planting
their brassicas are going to dig them up.....