Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default NEC Rules on Grounding Electrode Conductor(s)

On 2007-04-24, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm talking about the Grounding Electrode Conductor, which is a
separate wire that runs from the neutral/ground bar in the service
entrance to the earthing sources: Ufer ground, metallic cold water
pipe, and ground rod. Is it OK to run this conductor in the same
conduit as the feeder to my subpanel?

OK, gotcha now. I'm not aware of anything prohibiting that, but I still
wouldn't do it: if you run it inside the conduit, then you wind up bringing it
into your subpanel, then out again, which is kind of a PITA. Better IMO to use
a grounding electrode large enough (4AWG?) to not require conduit, then run it
separate.

The conduit is just a stub to protect the exterior portion of the
wiring, so it's no extra distance to take the GEC through the conduit.
It's primarily a cosmetic issue, to have fewer wires visible on the
side of the house, since the main disconnect is near the front entry.
If there's nothing wrong electrically or code-wise with doing it, I'll
go ahead.

Thanks,
Wayne