Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Best clear finish for outdoor wood?

On 24 Apr 2007 09:52:28 -0700, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:

:
:I would not recommend spar varnish. Everywhere I've used it or seen
:it used, it turned yellow and peeled off within months.
:
:I don't even really know what a 'spar' is, but I guess when you're
:floating around in the ocean you pass the time by stripping and
:revarnishing it.
:
:
:-rev

I used to work quite a bit on boats, new and used. It was the late
1970's, so I don't know if things have changed, but spar varnish was
superceded as the longest lasting clear wood finishing by polyurethane
varnish. Remove the old finish, sand well, sand fine, remove dust, apply
a minimum of 2 coats (absolute minimum is 2, 3 or more preferred) of the
finish following the instructions.

Dan

:On Apr 23, 7:54 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
: I have a door from my kitchen to the deck. It had been an ordinary wood
: with a clear finish. It opened outwards. When it rained I would leave the
: door open. For years the finish was fine. Then I upgraded to a mahogany
: door. Whatever finish the fellow put on blistered on the outside in a year.
: And I haven't left this door open in the rain at all.
:
: So what is the most lasting finish? Thinking like a boater I would think
: that spar varnish would be good. But that was years ago. So what should I
: use?
:
: Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
: