Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default NEC Rules on Grounding Electrode Conductor(s)

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote:

No, I'm not, the SER cable already has 4 wires, including an EGC.
[This is in contrast to type SE cable, which only has 3 wires, no
EGC.] These obviously will all be run together, as the NEC requires.

I'm talking about the Grounding Electrode Conductor, which is a
separate wire that runs from the neutral/ground bar in the service
entrance to the earthing sources: Ufer ground, metallic cold water
pipe, and ground rod. Is it OK to run this conductor in the same
conduit as the feeder to my subpanel?

OK, gotcha now. I'm not aware of anything prohibiting that, but I still
wouldn't do it: if you run it inside the conduit, then you wind up bringing it
into your subpanel, then out again, which is kind of a PITA. Better IMO to use
a grounding electrode large enough (4AWG?) to not require conduit, then run it
separate.

--
Regards,