Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

Default Underlayment advice for oak flooring strips

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use either 1/4-inch lauan
| or hardboard as underlayment for 3/4-inch oak flooring strips
| (nailed)?

squeaks!
underlayment is not necessary

The subfloor is 3/4-inch OSB with somewhat rough, uneven
| surface and hardened glue in some places,

chisel off high spots of glue

which is why I want to put
| down an underlayment to provide a more even surface for the finish
| floor.

install felt paper under hardwood flooring

I know I could use 1/4-inch plywood, but that is a little more
| expensive than both the lauan and the hardboard. But if there's a good
| reason not to use one or both then I will spend the extra money for
| the plywood to ensure a solid installation.

not necessary

Also, what is the
| recommended way of attaching 1/4-inch underlayment to the OSB
| subfloor? I think the 7/8-inch staples I already have would be the
| quickest - is that okay? Thanks!

that would have worked if needed...............

--
Information is free
Everything else........................I charge.