Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Scott Robert Scott is offline

Default About the new energy-saving light bulbs

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:14:59 GMT, Suzie-Q wrote:

About those new energy-saving light bulbs -- I think some are called
compact florescent?

Anyway, say I have a desk lamp with a small label that says that I
shouldn't use more than a 60-watt bulb. A new "60-watt" florescent
bulb uses only 13 watts of energy and doesn't get as hot as a
60-watt incandescent light bulb. A 100-watt florescent
would only use, say, 24 watts of energy (I don't know the exact
amount). So could I use a 100-watt florescent bulb in the desk lamp
that's rated for no higher than a 60-watt bulb?

Yes, the rating on the fixture applies to the amount of current drawn and the
amount of heat it can dissipate. On both counts the "100-watt equivalent"
compact flourescant qualifies.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan