Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
marson marson is offline

Default Underlayment advice for oak flooring strips

On Apr 24, 1:50 am, scott wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:47 pm, wrote:

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use either 1/4-inch lauan
or hardboard as underlayment for 3/4-inch oak flooring strips
(nailed)? The subfloor is 3/4-inch OSB with somewhat rough, uneven
surface and hardened glue in some places, which is why I want to put
down an underlayment to provide a more even surface for the finish
floor. I know I could use 1/4-inch plywood, but that is a little more
expensive than both the lauan and the hardboard. But if there's a good
reason not to use one or both then I will spend the extra money for
the plywood to ensure a solid installation. Also, what is the
recommended way of attaching 1/4-inch underlayment to the OSB
subfloor? I think the 7/8-inch staples I already have would be the
quickest - is that okay? Thanks!

Perhaps a floor installer will chime in, but in the mean time, I have
glued bamboo to the floor in my slab house. Floor leveler is
recomended even for wood subfloors I belive to even out joints, low
spots, etc.. I would not go to the trouble and expense of using lauan
or hardboard, in fact I doubt you would get near the nail retention
you would just with the OSB.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...k1/stapled.htm

http://www.osbguide.com/pdfs/EL813.pdf

I found these pages on a quick search, you can do the same :!)

For a nail down hardwood strip floor, I don't see the value in adding
underlayment. Even out your existing subfloor as best you can with a
scraper and belt sander and go with that. Many, many old houses have
hardwood strip floors put down over very nasty shiplap, and these
floors are fine. Use 30 pound felt as an underlayment to pad the
irregularities.