Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
MGH MGH is offline

Default Delta DL40 problem

Group,

Need help/advise. I am a high school shop teacher. We have a Delta DL40 16"electronic
variable wood lathe. It quit working the other day. I replaced the power
cord, it had more electrical tape than plastic. The cord was replaced with
a lighter gage wire than original (I know mistake).

The lathe and electronics all worked, as it should. After a short period of
use the lathe shut down. I noticed the cord had gotten warm and the lathe
would not restart. I replaced the cord with an appropriate gage wire,
checked the F1 fuse it's good, F2 and F3 fuses soldered to the circuit board
also look good. When the red on/off button is pulled to the ON position a
relay on the circuit board clicks but no LED readout lights on the
microprocessor control panel. I moved the microprocessor control panel to
the alternative location with the same results. We have a second identical
lathe and replaced the microprocessor control panel on the working lathe and
the panel worked fine. Did I fry the electronics by having a to light gage
wire? I looked for a thermal overload button on the motor but haven't found
any. Besides the motor never got warm much less hot. Also, there was never
that hot electrical smell. Any suggestions would be helpful and
appreciated.

Gay