Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Safe Stop

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:48:48 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Not doubting what you say, however, has nothing to do with "quality
problems" at Delta. Has a lot to do with "quality" problems with LTL
shippers.

It has nothing to do with LTL shippers, but everything to do with
inadequate
packaging or poor design. When you have damage getting a product to the
customer, you must change one or both.

So let's see, you design your pack then send it out to an independent
International Safe Transit Association lab to have it tested and
certified. The certification means that it has been tested to the
most severe handling the package will see consistent with the
contractural terms LTL shipping. It passes the test and is rated
"Transit Tested". The LTL shipper accepts the package for shipment.
The LTL shipper mishandles the package in a manner inconsistent with
the general terms of the shipping contract and damages the contents.
Damages it in a manner whereby the shipper admits liability for
freight damage to your package. The package they accepted and you
paid a fee for them to transport.

It has nothing to do with the LTL shipper?

Frank, I think that some Delta management knew what needed to be done but
unfortunately were limited in what they could do by the greater powers
above them and their strangle hold on the money needed to fix the problem.

Similarly, GM went through a similar situation back in the mid 80's. They
used many different carriers and because of the great variety in sizes and
shapes of the parts being shipped there were almost daily claims by any
given receiving dealer.
The packaging passed Transit Tests but sheet metal/ fenders, hoods etc. were
almost always in harms way because of the variety of other goods being
loaded in the same trailer.
Finally GM took the initiative to admit that this was not working and
switched to a dedicated carrier. Trailers were built specifically for and
to deliver strictly GM parts. These carriers only delivered GM parts.
Claims dropped about 90%.
As a parts manager receiving freight from GM daily I was not interested in
the least about packaging standards, transit tested standards or why parts
were being delivered in damaged condition. To the dismay of my local GM
Parts rep and apparently to the dismay of hundreds others, I and a great
number of parts managers purchased GM parts from other vendors rather than
GM Parts division when ever I could. I did not want excuses as that did not
solve the problems. Action by GM switching to dedicated carriers did solve
the problems.
Sometimes you have to think outside the box and spend extra money to stop
the bleeding and unfortunately in many cases managements hands are tied.