Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Wiring a switch for a light fixture

According to Dom :
I have discovered that there are two ways to wire a switch for a light
fixture.
1) pull two NM wires to the switch - one power the other goes to light
fixture
2) pull one NM wire to the switch - two wires to the fixture , one
from the switch (mark the white lead with black marker at the ends)
and one from power source.

My question would be which one is more preferable? I would like to
avoid fishing two wires to the switch box. Any advice is welcomed. I'm
in Ontario.

1) is preferred for future flexibility. The main advantage to (2) is
that it sometimes makes whole house electrical jobs a bit cheaper, or
it can take advantage of existing wiring on a reno.
--
Chris Lewis,