Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Why a no-no to use 40/50KHz high V electros for 50/60 Hz use?

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 23 Apr, 17:43, "N Cook" wrote:

I can understand the other way round being a no-no but what is wrong

with
using switch mode power suply type electrolytics for mains smoothing of

high
voltage rails.?

for mains or hv rails?

If you want to use smpsu caps on mains there are 2 problems:
1. the lytic caps aren't bipolar
2. the caps also arent X rated (for L-N connection) nor Y rated (For L-
E connection)

If you meant using them for hv dc rails, why not?

NT

For more clarity, I was meaning the 300V or 400V electrolytics used after
rectifying the mains and before 40/50KHz chopping to drive a smps
transformer.
Then using those on the secondary side after rectification, of a totally
50/60Hz mains transformer, with high voltage secondary. I thought the SMPS
ones had a different formulation or something to allow for high frequency
current demand.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England