Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default compare natural gas generators

In article ,
lid (George) says...
Rick Blaine wrote:
bhamm4254 wrote:

I want to get a whole house generator that runs off natural gas, there
are allot of differant modles to chose from. Does anyone have any
suggestions aouut ones to buy or ones to stay away from.

Don't assume you need to replace your rated service. Most backup generators just
need to handle the kitchen and a few lights. Depending on the climate, you may
want to include the furnace fan or possibly some minimal a/c. Depends on what
the outage history is in your area.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever."

That used to be the idea but McMansion owners think differently. I have
a relative who installs gensets and he said it isn't unusual to install
75kw units in a residence.

McMansions often are not habitable without electricity. My house is 35
years old, but was built by a pioneer family familiar with 19th century
technology. With wood heat and a good selection of candle sconces and
oil lamps, we don't even bother to start the generator until the second
day of the power outage, and most of the time just use a small 1200 watt
unit that will power the freezer and refrigerator. We fire up the large
generator a couple hours a day for showers - the water heater is
electric, and so is the well pump. The rest of the time, 1200 watts is
plenty, and doesn't make so much noise. I have a propane camp stove
for cooking, but it has never been used. We just cook on the wood stove
during outages, and eat stews, pot roast, etc.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.