Posted to rec.woodworking
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default PVA waterproof adhesive on MDF

On Apr 21, 1:59 am, "JWBH" wrote:
Have a piece of oak veneered mdf that i wish to use to make a shelf along
side the bath.

The oak veneer does not cover all the edges, so my plan is to seal the edges
and to then use a ronseal quick drying water based matt varnish to paint
the whole thing.

I can see that PVA is often advertised for use as a sealant. A little while
ago I bought a tub of Wickes PVA water proof adhesive. It says not to glue
two non porous materials that is subjected to wet. As an experiement I
found soaking things with water makes the adhesive go soft again and come
adrift.

So is this 'so called' waterproof adhesive suitable as a sealant on this mdf
please. Or is PVA waterproof adhesive essentially different from PVA
sealant and so not suitable to seal the mdf. thanks

Several previous posts have refered to sign makers. Highway
departments responsible for signage which must withstand exterior and
moist conditions use a material called MDO (medium density overlay).
It has a smooth paper surface suitable for painting. I suspect the
factory treats the sheets to withstand the elements.
For your application, I also would not recommend MDF.
Joe G