Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Installing 5/16 hardwood flooring

On Apr 22, 1:35 pm, "Terry Ryan" wrote:
I recently bought some 5/16 by 2-1/4 Bellawood Brazilian Walnut floor but I
can't find the right size floor nailer at any of the local (Charlottesville,
VA) rental centers. I prefer nailing, although glueing is an option. Is it
possible to use any other power device to install this very hard flooring?
Can I use a pneumatic nailer? Is so, what kind of nails should I use? Is
there any special attachment for a nailer to be used on flooring? Should
these be available at a typical rental center? (The chances I'll do another
floor installation are slim. I doesn't make sense to buy this equipment for
one job.)

Don't get too hung up on having a pneumatic nailer. Since you cannot
find a suitable nailer locally then you may have no choice but to hand
nail. It's no big deal especially for "one job".

You may need to pre-drill your nail holes to prevent splitting the
wood. Drill a holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the nail
and use your good old fashioned hammer. Then use a nail set to put
the head of the nail flush. You can do a much nicer job with a hammer
though not as fast.