Posted to alt.home.repair
jacko jacko is offline

Default cordless impact wrench question

I have a 1/2 inch 110V impact wrench that I use around the shop. I find it
just great for removing lug nuts and such. I use it quite a lot to remove
the Crank nuts, upper and lower, on lawn tractors and mowers. If a supply of
110V power is readily available and you don't have a fairly large volume air
supply compressor then I would go with the 110V electric over the battery
operated one. As another poster has said, there are battery operated ones
that will do the job for you, however they are a bit pricey. You can get a
fairly good 110V, 1/2 in. drive for under $100.
Good luck.

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
J.Lef wrote:
Hello to all:
I dont understand something.
I am looking to buy a cordless compact impact wrench.
I have narrowed my choice down to to. The dewalt dw051k, which is a
3/8 inch 12 volt, and the dewalt 053k, which is a 1/2 inch 12 volt.
The only differences that I can see, is that the 1/2 is a few ounces
heavier, and its maximum torque is about 20 percent more.
Plus the 1/2 inch uses a detent pin retention, the 3/8 uses a hog
ring retention.
The question I have is, it seems that there is a huge greater
range of accessories for the 1/2 inch, which in my opinion makes it a
logical choice, especially with the bit added torque, but in a lot of
place the 1/2 inch, is priced less then the 3/8 inch, and this surprises
me, and thats why I am questioning this.
Is there something I dont understand?
I am leaning towards the 1/2 inch, but is one retention method better
and thats why they are of equal cost, or even the 3/8 is more expensive.?
It doesnt seem logical.

Much regards Jerry

Snap-On has a new cordless impact that has some ummph but you will pay for
it..

What are you going to use it for?