Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Bleach in Septic Drain Field?

"Frank from Deeetroit" wrote in message
. ..

Are your septic field lines buried in the sandy soil, in direct contact
with the soil?

In my replacement field, I laid the field line on a one foot bed of pea
gravel, then backfilled the top of the line with another foot of pea
gravel. The trench was a foot wide, resulting in my 4" field line in the
middle of a square foot of pea gravel. I topped off the bed of pea gravel
with landscape fabric to allow any moisture to drain into the surrounding
ground and not permit any soil to pass into the top of the pea gravel bed.
The job was finished by backfilling the trench and planting grass on the
surface.

the company that re-did the field did a number of things. One, they
changed it to a two line field whereas before it was only a single line as
far as I know (and even then, I'm not certain). It is certainly longer
than the previous one. Two, they dug it with a backhoe, set the pvc lines
(directly ON the soil), then put about 2ft of gravel over the top and sides
of it. On top of the gravel, they laid rosen paper and then backfilled
with soil. In retrospect, I probably should have asked them to put a layer
of gravel UNDER the lines and then put fabric over the gravel vs. rosen
paper.
Cheers,
cc