Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Kitchen door panel inserts rattle

"wklkj" wrote in message
ups.com...
One more post on this huge project (for me).

I'm refacing my kitchen cabinets (28 doors worth). I've made new
doors and face frames out of red oak. It looks fantastic! People on
this message board have already helped me with tons of ideas and
suggestions. The best of all is the suggestion to buy the Kreg pocket
hole system. Wow. I've used about 400 screws already and I can't
imaging doing that much joining if I had to clamp everything and wait

During assembly I've used either of two methods. One, the space balls.
I've only built a few items with them but they do seem to work. Trouble
with them is, if you are installing them in a groove larger than 1/4" (which
you're not), it can sometimes be problematic to keep them in place while
assembling. Two, I've used clear silicone caulk and just laid out beads on
a piece of waxed paper. Once dry, I have just set them into the groove.
That has worked well for me but kind of messy and time consuming, hence I've
tried the space balls. Since your doors are already built, I'm not sure
how you're going to get something down inside that groove. There are
syringe type glue dispensers available but trying to push silicone through
them might not be an option (I've used them with epoxy but for only a very
small amount and it worked, but not great). If everything is screwed
together and not glued, you might consider disassembling and going with the
silicone/space ball route and then reassembling. I'm sure someone will
come along with a better idea!
Cheers,
cc