Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Dirty water pumps?

Broadback wrote:

I wish to pump water from a large natural pond at the bottom of my
largish garden, so that I can use it for plant watering. I have Googled
for "dirty water pumps" with mixed results. When I read the small print
the guarantees are invalid if you pump "dirty water" !!! Anyone any
recommendations please|?

The pumps available from B+Q and such places are ideal for that, around
£37 for the smaller one, which filters out anything over 7mm or so - it
pumps up sandy water with no problem.. They come in different
powers/sizes, I needed one to empty a large hole in my garden when the
mains pipe split. (Stupidly, I dug down to see where the pipe was
damaged, and because the ground around the pipe was disturbed when i
dug, the hole, by then, around 3 feet deep and round, just filled up
with water in less than 5 minutes.)
The pump emptied it in around 2 minutes, then kept the bottom of the
hole dry enough for me to dig deeeper down to get good access to the
pipe, and allow me to do a temp. repair until the water board could get
round to replace the pipe.
Alan.