Posted to alt.home.repair
rickandroll rickandroll is offline

Default Swimming pool draining to "nowhere"

MIami, lets step back for a sec. I am a certified pool contractor.
First, in MIami, you never need to drain the whole pool (if you did,
it would likely pop out of the ground, buoyed up by the surrounding
groundwater!!!) , so lets forget about 1000s of gallons in the
neighbors yard or your tank or whatever.. Also, dont drain the pool
immediately after a rain! In Miami, you're going to lose a fair amount
of water to evaporation pretty quick, so don't feel compelled to rush
out and level out the water....it will be fine until your yard has a
chance to recover.

Next, what kind of filter do you have for the pool? A sand or
diotomaceous earth filter (DE filter) require periodic backwashing.
You're gonna have to pump some water out of the pool at SOME point.
(As does every other pool owner in our lovely state). So check the
code to see if you HAVE to pump it to the sewer (I'm not in Miami, so
I don't know), and then check your chemicals.

as a side note I'm willing to bet that the person that killed the
fish had just "shocked" the pool (a process of adding large amounts of
chlorine (10x the normal amt) to a pool "burn off" the Chloramides,
which are the leftovers of chlorine after it neutralizes the bad stuff
in the pool. Note: when a pool smells like chlorine, its not too much
chlorine, its too little! That smell is the "used" chlorine!). So be
aware of your pool chemical balance.

If all else fails, have the neighborhood kids over for a "cannonball"
contest, and you're water will be back down in no time!!!

Good luck!