Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default cordless impact wrench question

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 02:24:22 GMT, "J.Lef" wrote:

Snap-On has a new cordless impact that has some ummph but you will pay for
it..

What are you going to use it for?

Thanks for the two replies so far.
The problem is, that I just got out of the military after being in for
nine years, and serverly injured my back during my second stint in Iraq, a
week before I was due to rotate back to the states.
Basically, I am just looking for something to make it easier for me
in case I need to change a flat tire on my vehicles, and to use for when I

I've never used an impact wrench, but isn't the kick just or almost as
great as the force you would have to use to undo the bolt by hand?

I would like to ask, but I don't, the guys who replace my tires to
tighten them by hand, so that I can get them off when I need to. But
I think it would be asking very little from someone who has an injured
back, and even more so from someone who injured it in Iraq. If I were
a mechanic, it would be an honor to do a little favor like that for
you.

want to rotate tires on my vehicles, as well as for some household use, or

I wouldn't bother rotating my tires until my back healed. Of course,
I hate to say it here, but I don't rotate my tires now. So far I
haven't noticed any bad effects from not doing so. Of course I don't
drive that much, but I also keep the tires longer because of that.

occassionally if I need it to work on a motor. (Light stuff only).
I have to adapt to my present capabilities and need to prepare for
how to best handle a situation.
I will only use the wrench to take off the lugs, and use a manual
torque wrench to properly put on the lugz.

I have had lug nuts that were on so tight, I had to stand on the
wrench to get them off. Would an impact wrench help in that
situation?

OT And once when I was having surgery on December 15, I parked my car
while missing one wheel cover. It snowed and then the snow plow put
snow even higher against the wheel. I didn't drive the car at all for
8 weeks (and there was still snow on the ground then). Four months
later I was dropping my brother off at the Newark airport on a Sunday
evening when I got a flat. I had to stand on the wrench for probably
every lugnut, and I broke four of the five studs in the process.

Much regards