Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Scraper comment - anyone see NYW today?

On Apr 21, 6:03 pm, "George" wrote:

At an angle? As in "shear scraping?" Since, best I can determine, that's
cutting without bevel support, it'd probably work if you could control the
tool, and it'd make a nice surface as long as he was cutting down hill. On
a piece of hard maple even a broadside scrape is not cause for anything
coarser than 150, though I'd hesitate to try it on softwood or a ring-porous
hardwood.

As to holding the handle of the tool at the waist, are you saying it was a
long-handled tool, or was it a short-handled tool and he was cutting way
above the navel? All those folks who cut with the wings of their "bowl"
gouges ought to be used to that.

Let me elaborate. He had a (looked to me) 3/4"x14" scraper with a
traditional looking grind on the end. I am aware that some burr, and
some don't, but I didn't see that on the TV. But looking to be
somewhere between 20 - 30 degrees, he held a long handled scraper on
the tool rest (1/4" from the work) at about 45 degrees (sorry Norm,
if I missed the exact angle due to TV camera distortion). The scraper
was completely supported, and he pushed it right into the work like he
was using a gouge.

I had not seen a scraper used that way. I have seen them drug
(unsupported, with a good burr) across a bowl with the tail of the
scraper being at about 80 degrees, almost straight up, the gouge
slipping along the surface (I'll bet like Arch is using his) and
taking off whiskers.

I use mine to clean up sides on a deep, straight sided cylinder by
cleaning out with a gouge, then pushing the scraper straight in with
the scraper being horizontal and the placement at 9:30 or less.

Norm was turning a bun style foot for an ottoman. I just hadn't seen
anyone use a scraper to cut profiles on spindles, and since he is kind
of a mainstream guy I was wondering if I was missing something.

Personally I think Norm's a wizard at the tablesaw and presents the flow of
work very well. In his use of the "routah," he's definitely behind old Bob
and Rick, and in his knowledge of the lathe, not up to Hout, or even my boy
Roy. Not that it makes a difference, because I don't come close to any of
them either.

He does indeed have that tablesaw down cold. And you know, I keep
waiting, but no one is calling me, so I don't guess I'll have a show
soon myself.

Robert