Posted to uk.d-i-y
Anna Anna is offline

Default Secondary glazed windows

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:25:15 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Progress is about using the beneficial properties of a material
like linseed and improving the downsides, like its lack of strength,
tendency to yellow, and slow drying.

Bull****

Strength is not an advantage with paint. Tendency to peel (like modern
oil paint) is a distinct disadvantage which happens when the paint
bonds better to itself than to its substrate. Show me the modern white
paint that doesnt yellow

Slow drying I will grant you and indeed it is the big problem with
linseed oil paint

Modern paints have been modified to make them more idiot proof (drip
less easily, will more or less stick to any substrate etc) and to
provide patents for the manufacturers who will then be able to justify
the investment in advertising. Modern paint is more expensive than
linseed oil paint. Odd that isnt it?

And now you have got my back up I will point out that I am not a
conservationist. Conservationists look after bits of land for the RSPB
and the like. Conservator is the word you are looking for

Anna