Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default cordless impact wrench question

On Apr 21, 7:29 am, "J.Lef" wrote:
Hello to all:
I dont understand something.
I am looking to buy a cordless compact impact wrench.
I have narrowed my choice down to to. The dewalt dw051k, which is a 3/8
inch 12 volt, and the dewalt 053k, which is a 1/2 inch 12 volt.
The only differences that I can see, is that the 1/2 is a few ounces
heavier, and its maximum torque is about 20 percent more.
Plus the 1/2 inch uses a detent pin retention, the 3/8 uses a hog ring
retention.
The question I have is, it seems that there is a huge greater range
of accessories for the 1/2 inch, which in my opinion makes it a logical
choice, especially with the bit added torque, but in a lot of place the 1/2
inch, is priced less then the 3/8 inch, and this surprises me, and thats
why I am questioning this.
Is there something I dont understand?
I am leaning towards the 1/2 inch, but is one retention method better
and thats why they are of equal cost, or even the 3/8 is more expensive.?
It doesnt seem logical.

Much regards Jerry

Both of those impact cordless wrenches are toys as far as automotive
work is concerned. Neither one gets close to the torque you need to
spin off a rusty lug nut. Compare them to the 600 ft. lbs. or more of
a typical Ingersol-Rand, CP, SnapOn, or Matco air impact that a pro
mechanic will have in his toolbox. The old adage is always true: there
ain't no substitute for torque and cubic inches. Air power rules in
that field.
As for the kiddie toy DeWalts, it's a toss-up. If you buy the 3/8" you
can use a 3/8 - 1/2" adapter to use your 1/2" socket set. And if you
buy the 1/2", the reverse is true. If compact size is important get
the 3/8". in any case, buy a 1/2 " Craftsman breaker bar in the
longest size they have to start the tough nuts turning before you
abuse the baby cordless.
If you really need to get some work done, get the best air compressor
you can afford and an Ingersol-Rand 1/2" 231 or 3/8" 212 series. IR
has hairier ones than these. but this is a good place to start. HTH

Joe
Retired ASE Certified Master Mechanic

..