Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default Swimming pool draining to "nowhere"

In article ,
(MiamiCuse) says...

About twenty feet from the pump and filter assembly on the other side of the
house suddenly a pool of water began to seep up quickly (do you remember the
movie Meet My Parents where Robert Dinero was walking on a wet lawn? Yeah
that's it). I immediately went to close off the drain valve and the water
puddling stopped.

So it appears even the house (which I bought a few months ago and now doing
repairs and finding a lot of surprises) is on city sewer, at one point in
time the house must have been on septic tank and the pool drain is draining
to the septic tank and I bet the septic tank is under the puddle of water.
So now what do I do? Do I need to re-route that pool drain line to the
sewer line?

More likely it's a dry well, or perhaps another broken pipe. I would
vote for a dry well. There is no way a septic could handle having a
whole pool full of water pumped through it. If the soil was saturated
after a big rain, a dry well might not have disposed of the water fast
enough. Try draining in dry conditions, or a little slower, and it may
function just fine. If not, just pipe the discharge to the sanitary
sewer line.

You might dig up the wet spot and see what is going on down there.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.