Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
tersono tersono is offline

Default How have you customized your life -- electronically?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:22:43 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:50:39 GMT, tersono
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 04:05:24 GMT, DaveC wrote:

One regular poster here has designed a microcontroller-based, networked (
(remotely accessible), whole-home climate control monitoring system
(heating-AC/hot h2o/heat exchangers/the whole works). Others have modified
their digital toaster (I'm not mentioning names... (c: )

How has your profession (or hobby) leaked into your everyday life? What
customizations or applications have you put electronics to that makes your
life easier and/or more fun?

My wife is blind. Yes, there are kitchen timers which are intended for
the blind, but the one we had couldn't announce the time remaining-
and you couldn't even check that you'd remembered to start it.

We have a machanical twist timer. It ticks while it's running and goes
DING! when it's done. You can locate it in the dark and easily feel
the pointer position and get a good idea of how much time is left. In
15 years, we've never had to replace the batteries.

John

It's good to remind the electronics nut that there are other ways to
solve problems!
--
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.